History & reports
In 2008 Air Liquide SA, the parent company of the Air Liquide Group, and Air Liquide Santé International, its healthcare subsidiary, launched the Air Liquide Foundation. Its purpose was to act on social issues where the Air Liquide Group can make a difference.
- 2008: Air Liquide SA and Air Liquide Santé International launch the Air Liquide Foundation. They assign it 2 missions: first to support research projects and, second, to promote local development on the behest of Group employees. It is established as a French corporate foundation and will serve society by drawing on resources of Air Liquide
2008-2013: Under the pole and Premup count among the foundation’s first scientific projects. From the start, the Foundation supports many employee-sponsored “micro-initiatives” in dozens of countries, such as education projects in Japan after the March 2011 tsunami. The Foundation’s five-year mandate is renewed in 2013
- 2013-2018: the Foundation extends its scientific work in Europe, as well as its social mission. It supports projects in altogether more than 40 countries. A 2nd five-year renewal of the Foundation is validated in 2018
- In 2019 the Foundation decides to pursue longer scientific partnerships. In the social field, it will focus on job-skilling young people and adults, to promote their integration in the workplace. This leads to fewer, larger projects
- In 2020, as a response to the COVID-19 crisis, the Foundation receives extra funding from its sponsors, both for scientific research on the disease and for emergency aid to fragile populations
- As a consequence of the Foundation’s growth and increased focus, the “Projects selection committee” is replaced by a “scientific committee” and a “communities committee”
- In 2021, for the first time, the Foundation gets direct funding from Air Liquide shareholders for four projects
2020 was a momentous year for the Foundation, in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic. It turned out to be one of exceptional activity. Covid-19 became the prime focus of many of the Foundation’s partners, research teams & NGOs alike, in France, across Europe and internationally. The Foundation was quick on its feet, with the full support of its founders and its board.
400 scientific projects supported by the Foundation since 2008
68 projects of communities development supported by the Foundation
52 countries where the Foundation supports projects
From the outset, the founders wanted to directly involve the Group's employees. Thus, each of the projects supported by the Foundation is monitored by an Air Liquide employee. This is what makes our Foundation special.
The Air Liquide Foundation acts within the framework of its corporate purpose. On the one hand, it supports research or scientific education projects in the field of respiratory diseases and air quality, and on the other local development projects, in particular job integration, in the territories where the Air Liquide Group is present.